PART 4: My 2009 Year In Review--Of Life, Love and Sarah Jessica Parker

Blogged on My Multiply dated December 25, 2009

I.

I have a lot to be thankful for this year. 2009 has been good to me. Sometimes I wonder why God is giving me so much--more that what I really need. I am so blessed with my family, friends and career (in the process). I don't know what I did to even deserve all of these, and I am a bit afraid that in the future, God would ask something in return that I might not want to give. Whatever the reason for the endless blessings, I am forever grateful.

I may have had trials here and there this year, but they weren't things I couldn't handle. I finally learned to believe in myself which I actually found very hard to do before. I have a great support system that fuels my self-esteem. And I finally learned that by faking confidence, you gain confidence. I'm not sure if you get that but that's what it is. Maybe The Secret really works.

I always tell people that I'm not a religious person, and it's still true to this day. I still hate hearing mass and observing holy days of obligation. But given this fact, I believe in God. I may not pray much but I know that He is there guiding me through the right path. I am a worldly person and I easily give in to temptation. I can be easily influenced by people in doing things I shouldn't do. I turn to Him and ask for wisdom to do what is right and what is good.

I want to be good.

2009 is also the start of my dreams coming true. I won in a writing competition last September and that victory gave me a reason to believe again in what I can do. I was always afraid of what I'll become once I graduate. A bum? A call center agent? (not that there is something wrong with that) A corporate employee? A banker, perhaps? After that win, my wanting to be a writer woke up again. And I think that's a good thing, to have THAT dream again of becoming something, a someone. We should never give up on our dreams. Never think that it's too late. A lot of people even fulfill their dreams at the later part of their lives. You are not too old or young to do the things you want. A dream is worth living for.

II.

My clock says three o'clock. It is Christmas morning. I just finished watching The Family Stone. I decided to make it a tradition to watch the film during this season. It is my favorite Christmas movie. The most intense scene (and my favorite) was the dinner sequence when Sarah Jessica Parker's character said that no parent wishes to have a gay child, which offended everyone at the dinner table since one of their brothers was gay. Diane Keaton's character, the mother, told his son that she loved him no matter what any other assholes say. The way she acted it, through sign language (the gay son was deaf), was really touching. I couldn't help but get teary-eyed everytime.

III.

I'm not sure if this will be the last entry of my series. I might write another one before the year ends. But if I don't, I'd like to take this chance to thank all the people who made an impact in my life this year. I learned a lot from all of you and I am glad that you were a part of the reason why I am ending 2009 with the biggest smile on my face. Let us all be merry on this wonderful season, reflect on the year we just had, and learn from the mistakes we foolishly committed along the way. I wish nothing but the best for all of you, and may 2010 bring us more unforgettable moments we would also cherish through the years. God Bless and Merry Christmas!

IV.

To my grandparents, Jeremias Roman Sr. and Francisca Sarmiento Roman.

I will never forget.

0 comments: